Monday, June 8, 2015

Self-censorship

Original post:  October 7, 2011

I can sometimes be my own worst enemy. I may hear something that I disagree with. Someone else may say something that is incorrect. At times, I may want to whip out a witty reply or dispute the point.

There is a problem with that type of behavior. Most people don't like to be corrected. Many don't like being challenged. What I think might be a simple barb might be perceived as a vicious attack. Gentle correction may label you as an opponent--or worse, an enemy. It can be really difficult to resist the temptation to score an easy point or laugh in the moment. If it results in a slight, it could come back at a most inopportune moment in the future.

My wife enjoys watching the talent shows on TV. We are both impressed by the way that the judges on the "Sing-Off" can give detailed constructive criticism. On some other shows, the judges sometimes take pride in tearing the contestants down. In my opinion, there is a difference between honesty and cruelty. Those who don't know the difference are often the ones with the most brittle egos themselves.

We often know the right thing to do in most situations. The trick is being able to make the wise decision in the moment as it is happening (instead of days or weeks of contemplation after the fact).

No comments:

Post a Comment