Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Does he realize how lucky he is?

Original post:  Oct 31, 2013

The Red Sox just won the World Series a few minutes ago. Since the games are on so late, I don't let my seven-year-old son watch. At this point, he is asleep and blissfully unaware.

I remember the wild swings in emotion back in 2003 and 2004. The dramatic battles with the Yankees would carry on well past midnight. While those campaigns were raging, the Sox were still in the midst of a drought lasting generations. It had literally been since 1918 since they had last won the World Series. Since my older boy was born in 2005, Boston has been blessed with several championship teams. In his short lifetime, the Celtics won a championship. He sort of remembers the Bruins, but it was long enough ago that he still didn't grasp the significance of the moment. The Patriots have been to two Super Bowls (unfortunately, they have not won either one). The Sox have now won two World Series within his short life span.

I am looking forward to letting him watch the highlights in the morning and seeing the joy on his face when he learns about the outcome. I hope he realizes that most metropolitan areas are lucky to win a single championship in a decade. He probably won't. Maybe that's OK.

I can hardly wait until morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment