Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Awaiting the inevitable

Original post:  May 20, 2013

AIrline travel is always a crap shoot. On today's flight, I was in the window seat near the back of the plane. The woman next to me ordered black coffee.

There are many times when I try to avoid dark colored liquids. This flight was rather choppy, so this was one of them. As I finished my tonic water, I could only watch helplessly as she removed the lid for her drink. I watched as the rocking of the plane swirled the black, black vortex higher and higher. I could see it inching closer and closer to the rim. All the while, I am wondering what possessed her to remove the only barrier between her drink and disaster.

In my helplessness, I took the newspaper I was reading and tried to shield myself in the best way that I could. Since there were only inches between her cup and my knee, I might be able to deflect some portion and keep the dry cleaning bill in the single digits.

As the plane hurtled through space, the swirling picked up speed. Tired of its regular pace, it sloshed and finally crested the cup. Just as I had imagined, there were now several ounces of coffee on her tray. Fortunately for me, she was able to contain the damage and limit the mess to her tray. I could not believe how close I came to disaster.

Thank goodness for little blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment