Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

Original post:  Dec 14, 2013

I messed up.

Last week, I got involved in a situation. I was trying to help my business partners. There was a crisis involving technology gone wrong. I tried to help myself, but provided no relief. I then tried another workaround. Unfortunately, I selected the wrong approach. After a volley of different exchanges, I soon realized that I had unwittingly stirred up a hornet's nest of issues.

The first instinct in such a situation is to get defensive. You could dig in your heels and double down. You retreat behind your walls and lob grenades in the opposite direction and they retreat behind their walls and lob them back. That decision usually creates more of a mess the longer it goes on.

I decided to take responsibility for my mistake. While it is not an easy thing to do, it is the right thing to do. I've attempted to reset the situation on the path it should have taken when the issue first flared up. While it may take more time to resolve, it respects the process and the others who have their own responsibilities to tend to in the meantime.

I hope that these days are few and far between....

No comments:

Post a Comment