Sunday, June 14, 2015

Bittersweet

Original post:  Dec 5, 2013

Last night, I attended the awards dinner for my business unit. This occasion celebrates the achievements of the sales and marketing teams during the past year.

In days long gone by, I used to work in sales and marketing. Through the years, I made a number of good friends. Although we rarely see each other, it is always wonderful to go back to events like this and see familiar faces from years past. I am especially fond of greeting the members of the Hall of Fame. These superstar salespersons were always a source of inspiration. I almost felt like I had matured at the company with them along the way.

At this event, I was searching for someone who was conspicuously absent. At this awards dinner, I soon learned why. This 33-year veteran Hall of Famer had finally retired. In an unfortunate twist, he was unable to attend the sales meeting to receive the congratulations he richly deserved. It started to dawn on me that I might never see him again.

I suppose that this will happen from time to time. It still brings a bittersweet twinge each time it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment