Sunday, June 14, 2015

It was fifty years ago today....

Original post:  Feb 14, 2014

Well, actually I am a little late. Earlier this week was the 50th anniversary of the Beatles appearing on the Ed Sullivan show. That landmark performance is considered by many to be the start of Beatlemania in the US.

I am a Beatles fan. It's hard for me to believe that many of the songs that I know so well are nearly half a century old!

What's interesting for me is to try to put myself in the mindset of the time. It's so difficult to look backwards and realize how much less developed the music world was back then. Much of what we commonly listen to now had not even been invented yet. Entire forms like hip hop, grunge, punk, disco and rap did not yet exist. Techniques like recording yourself on a backing track or sampling were still in their infancy. I suppose many years from now we'll look back and laugh at how the Internet of things wasn't yet pervasive or that we still actually had physical cables running into homes to provide us with TV signals!

Here's a short video to an iconic song that instantly transports me back to the 60s.

No comments:

Post a Comment