Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Keep this in mind

Original post:  Jul 16, 2013

It's quite easy to let inertia take over. You get into a certain rhythm and you just let things flow. You bounce from one meeting to the next and the work day has a way of pushing the calendar along. Sometimes a certain moment disrupts that pattern and jolts you back into your real life. Yesterday, I experienced one of those moments.

I normally like to get my workout in before I start my day. I left the house before 6 AM like I normally do while the rest of the family was still sleeping. In these summer months, everyone else is out of school enjoying their well-deserved vacations. My family was set to join a friend at the beach for the day.

I spent my normal day at work and then went home for the day. The house was empty because they were not expected back until later in the evening. While I had time to myself, it was a strange experience to be at home with no one else around.

My wife pulled up into the driveway very late. She explained that they had had so much fun it was nearly impossible to leave! The two kids had passed out on the long ride home (the beach in New Hampshire was about 90 minutes away) and were still groggy. I carried our five-year-old up the stairs while my seven-year-old stumbled his way up to bed.

As I cradled my little guy in my arms, I realized how lucky I am. I also had that bittersweet feeling knowing that he is growing quickly and I won't be able to carry him up the stairs much longer.

I am looking forward to some time off next week to remember what truly matters most!

Happy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment