Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Accepting what you cannot change

Original post:  Apr 15, 2013

My older son is seven. He has been asking to get his hair cut for quite some time. we normally go a few months between visits to the barber. Somewhere along the way, he decided he wanted to get a "buzz cut". To get an idea of what it would look like, imagine a military recruit and shears.

I have to confess that I am jealous of my son's hair. I have very coarse, straight hair that just falls flat on my scalp. As my son's hair grows out past a certain length, it develops natural curls that look quite handsome with little fuss. I suppose part of the appeal is wishing for what I never had.

Yesterday, we took him to the barber shop. The stylist asked me if it was OK and I said yes. I cringed a bit just as she started because I could not understand the motivation to sacrifice something I wish I had myself. In less than two minutes, it was over.

My boy was ecstatic. He kept running his hand over his hair. The stylist used a #2 clippers, so it was now about a half inch long all around his head. The remaining hair felt smooth and velvety. He smiled as he picked out the traditional post-cut lollipop. His brother immediately declared that he wanted his head shaved, too.

My wife had not come with us. I walked in the house first and told her to prepare herself. Despite my warning, she let out an audible gasp when she saw him. He had never had his hair cut like this. I don't think his hair has been this short since he was an infant.

My wife immediately ran her fingers through his hair and smiled. She kept remarking about how amazingly soft it felt. She also said that this would be a great look for the summer.

To be honest, it has been difficult for me. At the same time, I feel that I have to learn to accept that my priorities are not the same as his. I also have to learn to accept that these types of decisions are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and that it is important to let him know that he can make his own choices. Still, it is hard when there is a strong visual reminder that is constantly in front of you.

There have been times when I have been part of a team and on the losing side of a group decision. In those cases, I have learned that the responsible thing to do is to respect the team's wishes and support the group leadership.

My wife did let my son know that she expects that his hair will return to a respectable length in time for school pictures.  Who knows? Perhaps once the novelty wears off, he will want to grow his hair out again. I suppose I should be thankful he didn't ask for a Mohawk!

No comments:

Post a Comment