Monday, June 8, 2015

Interesting negotiation strategy

Original post:  October 12, 2011

Last night, my soon-to-be four year old son was having trouble finishing his dinner. His mind would wander and he would start running around with a half-eaten plate still sitting at the table.

Mom had purchased some decorated cupcakes. He really wanted a cupcake because it had already been promised to him upon completion of his dinner. He insisted on having his mother feed him. Since Mom was busy with chores, Dad decided to experiment.

I offered my son a choice. He could finish his dinner on his own and have a whole cupcake. If Mom had to help him finish, he would only get half a cupcake.

He sat and pondered. He thought about it a while and answered, "I want Mommy to feed me AND I want a whole cupcake."

No comments:

Post a Comment