Monday, June 8, 2015

True But Irrelevant

Original post July 29, 2011

In a meeting today, we were having a spirited discussion with a vendor. For this project, they were pointing to a long history in "life sciences." When I asked for references from their portfolio, they proudly pointed to work they had performed with many leading global pharmaceutical manufacturers. We were actually looking for experience with medical device manufacturers for the project. That led to my unstated thought, "True, but irrelevant." (TBI).

I frequently notice that this tactic occurs constantly in a conversation or debate. One party puts out a statement and the other counters with a TBI fact. The fact is usually true (at least in some sense) but it has nothing to do with the actual topic being discussed.

An example of this tactic is a conversation I recently had my son. We were asking him whether he wanted a pancake or waffle for breakfast. He replied, "Chocolate milk is my favorite."

No comments:

Post a Comment