Monday, June 8, 2015

If it's to be, it's up to me

Original post:  Mar. 27, 2012

Our company is fortunate to have many talented people within the organization. Every day, I run across some amazing people who always seem to be stretched very thin. There are always other initiatives that could be done if only there were people to do them. Unfortunately, we never seem to have the luxury of additional help.

In our own small way, each of us recognizes small opportunities for minor improvements that could make things just a little bit better. If we stand on the sidelines and watch, we know that nothing will change. It is highly unlikely that some mysterious force will appear out of the void and get that task accomplished. Sooner or later, someone has to step up and do it.

I normally park in the same spot on most days. On my way into the office one day, I noticed that there was a fairly large piece of trash sitting near the curb. I thought it looked awful, but I expected that sooner or later the groundskeepers would take it away. They did not. Over the course of the next several days, it stayed there and I kept looking at it. I finally realized that it would stay there until I did something about it. I finally decided that it was time and I picked it up and brought it to the trash.

Later on, I thought about why it took me so long to do what I should have done in the first place.

I guess it was because I thought someone else would step in. I suppose I didn't stop to think that no one else noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment