Monday, June 8, 2015

To your point

Original post:  Feb. 13, 2012

Three little words. Such a short phrase with a disproportionately large impact.

I learned this rhetorical flourish fairly recently. An acquaintance with a consulting background used it consistently in conversation. After some reflection, I began to realize that those three little words were devastatingly effective.

Every communications expert will stress the importance of listening. We often pay lip service to the ideal of listening more than we speak. Many times I have to catch myself to keep from plotting out what I will try to say next when the other person is making their case.

I personally find the phrase "to your point" effective because it establishes a number of facts. First, it means that you have listened to the previous speaker. Second, it confirms that you have accepted the speaker's point as valid. This means that (at some level) you have built an agreement with that person. Finally, it gives you the possibility of pivoting the discussion into a new way while still maintaining unity with the previous topic.

Subtle and concise. Quite the combination. In three words.

No comments:

Post a Comment