Monday, June 8, 2015

I can't do your job, but I can learn about it

Original post:  November 23, 2011

I am in a cross-functional meeting with our distribution partners. I enjoy listening to the presentations from other areas of the company. It is even more interesting to hear the feedback from our customers.

We all have our own perceptions and understanding of our own jobs. We might evenhave some understanding of our overall role in the larger organization. One area that is hard to comprehend is how we are perceived by others. This particular group was particularly vocal and candid. If you can take constructive criticism, it is actually an excellent way to make improvements.

I find that this type of meeting really helps me to put all sorts of seemingly disconnected information together. It's fascinating to gain visibility into how products are picked and the reasons why it doesn't necessarily reach the customer on time or in optimal condition. I did not realize the full impact of ordering product by pallets or truckloads on operational efficiency. It's also important to understand that some of the practices that are convenient or economical for us are not always beneficial for our partners.

I am amazed at the diversity of different tasks that are deployed across our enterprise. I had no idea that there was so much skill required in picking our products out of the warehouses and transforming them into shrink-wrapped units that are sent to customers. Similarly, there are many unseen back-office applications that are just as critical to the smooth flow of commerce as the initial sales and marketing efforts. All of these units have to work in tandem in order to keep product moving from our plants and warehouses to our customers.

I have gained a new level of respect for my fellow colleagues. Please accept my humble thanks for all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment