Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Rooting for Goliath

Last night, the UConn women's basketball team won their fourth straight NCAA championship. They are 122-1 in their last 123 games. All of their wins have been by double digits. They have won their last 75 games in a row. That is a ruthless record of dominance!

There have been articles recently talking about how their success has "ruined" the game. I think it's rank and utter nonsense. They have raised the bar to a level that may never again be achieved. In my own opinion, we should be thankful that we get to witness it in real time.

It also made me realize that it's easy to look back at it and see how inevitable this success was. In actual point of fact, I'm sure that there were many hard days for Geno Auriemma at the outset. The steamrolling leviathan of the future was nothing more than a fantasy at that point. Without the relentless persistence and effort in building a successful program, there is no way that the team could achieve the peerless results of today.

I would venture that many of the loudest detractors are actually jealous of the success and attention. They would love to enjoy the same level of recognition. Are they willing to put in the long hours of work? Do they realize that sometimes, even when you try your best, you may not be able to succeed?

I salute the excellence of their program. I'm even willing to admit that I wanted them to win. It wasn't out of any personal loyalty. It was more that I enjoy the history that is being made in front of my eyes.

Then again, there always seems to be another audition for David right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment