Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Missing out on the action

Apparently there was a thrilling conclusion to March Madness last night. North Carolina hit a double-clutch three pointer to tie the score with less than five seconds to play. Villanova stormed back down the court and launched a dagger that splashed home just after the final buzzer sounded. It was only the second time a game was decided at the very end. This one actually had the ball in the air as time expired! It doesn't get more exciting than that.

I had watched brief snatches of the game. It didn't start until after nine, so I caught a few minutes just before halftime. By that point, it was almost 10:30 and I was getting tired so I went to bed. I didn't have any real rooting interest in the game. Villanova is one of the last surviving members of the Big East. Their last NCAA championship came in 1985. I remember listening to it on the radio while I was at work. At the time, I didn't know that I would be attending Georgetown! I would later learn how I lost what we never really had or could really share.

As the years go by, I think you learn to pick and choose your spots. There is less energy to go around. You can't invest the passion that you once did because there are so many other interests all fighting for your time and attention. Whether it's the kids or the job or the church or something else, there is always something that needs doing. I find that sports have sort of fallen back in the queue just a bit. I'll follow a few and have to leave the others to passing fancy.

Then again, it is opening day for the Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment