Monday, December 28, 2015

Putting time into perspective

Original post: Aug 31, 2015

At a website called waitbutwhy.com, there is a fascinating infographic that discusses time from a very interesting perspective. It's far too large to replicate in its entirety, but I thought I would show you the part that goes back to Christopher Columbus landing in America. It's something of an arbitrary point, but it does give you some idea of how we perceive historical events. It's interesting to compare that to our perception of the current moment to try to get some mental idea of how long ago some of these events really were.

I was quite amazed to think about how different history might be for someone who is 30 than it is for me. I don't think of someone at that age as that much younger than me, but I think the reality is quite different!

There were a couple of fun facts sprinkled in there:
  • A current 90 year-old was born closer to Lincoln's assassination than to our current day!
  • The oldest living human today is 116. She was born closer to Washington becoming the first president than to today!








No comments:

Post a Comment