Thursday, June 2, 2016

Not being there

There is one major downside of business travel. You can miss certain important events.

My older son had a Little League game last night. It was a makeup for a previous game earlier in the season that was called on account of rain. He started this one out in centerfield, and my wife kept me informed of progress via text.

In many ways, it almost felt like a radio broadcast (minus the sound). I kept getting short snippets and updates.

The first was from the 3rd inning. She thought he had been pulled from the game. In Little League, kids are only guaranteed three innings and one at bat. He had batted in the suspended game already, so there was a chance he would be done for good if pulled. In her words, he was "not a happy camper..."

I can imagine his frustration. As you've seen from earlier in the season, he's already had many disappointments and adjustments. I was already thinking of what I might have to say when I got home.

Some time later, I heard the tell-tale alert for a new text. It was now the top of the sixth inning, and my son was up to bat! The texts started rolling in.

"Single"  (My reply:  "Yay!")

"Stole 2nd"  ("How is he batting if he was out of the game?")

"I don't know. Little League..."     ("Any idea of the score?")

"5-3 them.  2 outs.  On 3rd."     ("Go Twins!")

"He and Matt scored on a Kevin single. 5-5!!"     ("Awesome!  Bet he's excited.")

"Yes. 6-5 Twins...8-5 Twins!! Nolan double!"     ("They are definitely the cardiac kids."

"9-5!  Bottom 6th. Matt still pitching. Son in LF? I don't know..."    ("You will have to ask him later what happened.")

"I will. He thought he was out of the game."

"2 outs.  Still 9-5!"

"9-6"

"Just took Matt out. Put in Seamus."     ("How many on base?")
"Loaded."

"Hit batter. 9-7"


"Game over!!! We won!!"

While I am glad they won, I am sad that I didn't get to see the smiles of joy and pride.

Maybe next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment