Friday, June 17, 2016

Never as much as you think

My sister called today out of the blue. That usually isn't a good sign. When I got a hold of her, the news was serious. My brother-in-law had discovered that he had some cancer. Fortunately, it hadn't spread.

While on the call, I got a chance to speak to him. Both of them were quite upbeat and positive. I think that's an excellent sign. Whether intended or not, they caught it early. Given the state of medicine today, I bet he has the odds well in his favor.

On the call, they thanked me for getting them a special gift for his 50th birthday. We had given them a few days at the local timeshare. He was genuinely grateful for the chance to spend some time at a place that his kids really enjoyed. I remember the last time we visited and all of the great memories that we had from our joint visit. I can only imagine the happiness on his kids' faces. I let him know that some of my most precious memories are from vacations just like that one. I also know that life is so much shorter than we realize. It's so important to squeeze every ounce of life out of every waking moment.

Hope you can hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment