Saturday, June 4, 2016

Jolted awake

It happened so quickly. In the flash of an eye, we went from laughing and playing to serious concern.

Over the weekend, we were up in New Hampshire at a resort spending time with my in-laws. After an action-packed day including a cruise on the lake, we were at a hotel pool which featured an indoor water slide. The boys were having fun inventing new ways to go down the slide. The adults were watching and giving out scores in a mini-competition. All of a sudden, my youngest slipped as he was on his last run. There was a loud clunk and he slipped down into an odd position in the water. He seemed to be OK, but as he swam to the side, he was holding his head. My wife went over and soon realized there was a gash to the base of his skull. It wasn't life-threatening, but it was something more than a surface wound.

My wife stayed with him as I raced to gather things and look for the nearest urgent care. My first immediate concern was for the health of my son and to protect my little family. I would give anything to keep them intact. Now that it's over, I can relax. In the moment, it was a vivid reminder of the thin line between happiness and tragedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment