Thursday, May 19, 2016

In the heat of battle

Older brother continues his Little League journey.


He recently got to pitch in a game. I was a bit surprised because I had no warning that he would be in the game. He didn't even get any chance to warm up. By the time he knew he was pitching, he was on the mound.


He started out by striking out the first batter. The next batter was the best player on the Cubs and he smacked a home run. Still, OB settled down and got through the next two innings without much of a problem.

In the sixth (and last) inning, he started off OK. He got the first two outs without any issue. With a four run lead, it seemed as if he would just cruise to victory. Then he gives up a hit. No problem. Then he walks a batter. Then a ball sneaks under the 2nd baseman's glove and suddenly the bases are loaded. A close pitch doesn't go his way and then he walks in a run. 

Coach calls time and goes out to the mound. I'm not sure what he said, but I think he was trying to remind OB that it was just one more out. 

The next batter hits a shot to first that again goes right under the fielder's glove and another run comes home. With the lead down to two runs, the coach goes to an older kid who is able to get the last out and the Twins win, 8-6.

When I went to pick him up after the game, OB is really upset. I try to ask why, but I think I know the reason. He is really mad that coach pulled him from the game.

While I admire his competitive spirit, I also wish he could try to keep things in perspective. Of course, it's been a long time since I was ten years old and struggling to earn my stripes with the older kids. In fact, I never had a similar situation in my athletic career.

Over the course of the next few games, we would also run into other teachable moments. There is a fine line between holding high standards and just being downright ornery. While we may blur the distinction now and then, I have no doubt that we'll be OK in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment