Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Coachability

Original post:  Oct 25, 2015

Parenting sometimes seems like a continuing series of life lessons. That said, it is also filled with hidden pleasures.

Over the weekend, my nine year-old son had two key events. The first was a three mile run that he needed to complete in thirty minutes as part of his preparation for black belt training in karate. The second was a hitting clinic in a small class to work on improving his baseball swing. He had no trouble at all with the run, finishing in 25:12. (I think he would have beat me at the recent Mansfield 5K at his pace!) He did quite well at the clinic. Based on what I can tell, he seems to be swinging with much more confidence and power than he did over the summer.

After the lesson, I spoke to the coach about additional lessons once the current session comes to an end. He asked what training my son had had previously. I first admitted that since I had never played baseball, he hadn't learned his swing from me. I also told the coach that my son had never really had direct lessons before but that he did listen well and worked diligently with any instruction he was given. The coach went on to say that he had a good foundation and displayed solid technique. I was quite proud of him.

Later, I began to think about the importance of coachability. There is a certain humility that you have to have. You have to admit that there may be others who know more than you and can guide you in the right way. This is much obviously easier in some fields than in others. If we can let go of our pride and the stubborn refusal to believe that others can teach us anything, there are some surprising things that we may be able to accomplish!

In our own worlds, there are going to be many occasions for us to stretch beyond our comfort zone. If we are fortunate enough to locate a mentor or guide who can help us navigate the Medtronic matrix, it will be important to accept any advice gracefully. Perhaps someday we can even find ourselves in the role as a mentor or guide for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment