Monday, October 19, 2015

In the flesh

Original post:  Mar 10, 2015

Last night, I had the privilege of attending a panel discussion memorializing the life of David Carr. Mr. Carr was a columnist for the New York Times. It was fascinating to learn about a man I never knew personally and may have read only in brief snatches. The panelists spoke openly and emotionally about their loss of a true friend. Ironically, I wasn't there to learn about David Carr. I was actually there to meet one of the panelists.

I've been reading a blogger named Ta-Nehisi Coates for many years now. He writes frequently about race relations and other topics at the Atlantic Monthly. What I enjoy most about his writing is the way he can capture his own struggle to overcome his own internal biases to reach a new level of truth. His journey has been arduous, and he does a great job of exposing his flaws and his little triumphs as he learns more about himself and the world around him. It was great to finally meet him face-to-face. I was honored to shake the hand of someone who had helped shape at least some part of my thinking by introducing some doubt into my certainty and forcing me to search more honestly for the truth.

For some reason, there is a depth to the experience of finally tying a disembodied voice that you find on a page or listen to on the radio with an actual physical presence. I can't explain it. I only know it exists. Perhaps it's just our humanity--our need to relate to others on a personal level. Whatever the case, I'm glad I was able to attend.

What touched me the most about the service was the many examples they shared about how David had mentored so many others. He was a lecturer at Boston University and the session opened with audio recordings of teacher and student. He had spent countless hours working with minorities and women out of a deep-seated belief that he needed to do his own little part to help bring a tiny bit more fairness into the world. Ta-Nehisi openly admitted that he would not be where he is today had Mr. Carr not intervened many times along the way and pointed him in the right direction.

It's not easy to be a mentor. It takes dedication and energy that doesn't always earn the recognition it deserves. I hope that I can be a mentor to others in my own small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment